It’s coming down in buckets the snow! So why not have some fun with a cup of hot cocoa, popcorn and this simple kids’ project with household items:
SNOWMEN: Dough (below), sticks/ Popsicle sticks, felt/ paper or even stickers, glue or gluestick, a baby carrot, buttons or found objects, large bowl, measuring cup, spoon/stirring tool.
Take turns (a good learning opp.) with each ingredient, including mixing. Mix dry ingredients first. Then add the water slowly. Stir well, then, mix with hands: Squeeze, press, pull; Build muscles in those hands and arms! Use both together then wash (FYI: Avoid if any cuts on hands, as salt may irritate or hurt.)
- Separate and play with it, use tools or just hands, how many things can you do? When finished:
- Roll 3 balls of 3 sizes and stack
- Cut various paper for hat & glue onto top of popcycle stick, then press into center of snowman
- Decorate w/ buttons, eyes, sticks, etc.
- Add a carrot for the nose, it will be fun to watch over time.
Recipe per person (makes 2 snowmen): ½ cup salt, 1 cup flour, 1/3-1/2 half cup water. Another trick? To make it air dry in about a day, use a teaspoon of Alum! (Available in any pharmacy, yes it’s safe.)
Don’t eat the dough, it’s not sweet like cookies!
Related for younger: “Frosty the Snowman”, “Let it Snow”, “Dough is for rolling, rolling, rolling, dough is for rolling on a winter’s day”